WHAT DOES AN OVERDOSE OF PSILOCYBIN LOOK LIKE?
In traditional measures of acute toxicity, the safety profile of psilocybin is favorable. The median lethal dose (LD50) of psilocybin is 127,000 mcg per lb of body weight. Though psilocybin is far less toxic to the body than many other compounds, consuming more than intended may lead to discomfort and psychological distress during the duration of its effects.
In general, the Church defines an overdose as any dose that elicits effects in excess of one’s intended experience. There are two main indications of overdose that the church has observed in its work.
- The individual does not remember the experience. In this scenario, although some benefit may result, much of the benefit of having a profound spiritual experience is lost.
- The individual may lose control of their body and do things that they would otherwise consider unthinkable, behaviors such as the desire to run out in the street naked, for example.
In both of these scenarios much of the transformative power of these spiritual experiences is lost. The ability to remember details from a religious experience on mushrooms is important. Recollecting moments of embarrassment over moments of profound spiritual insight is unfavorable and avoidable with careful attention to dosing.
“If you don’t remember it, why did you do it?” -Dave Hodges