The intent of these standardized dosing guidelines is to advance the safety and precision of psilocybin ceremonies. This research has been done by the Church of Ambrosia as part of its effort to educate, inform, and equip all producers, consumers, or providers of psilocybin edibles with vital safety information on psilocybin overdose.
In conjunction with these standards the Church has also released its advanced dosage calculator. Establishing standards for the actual psilocybin content in each edible further advances the ability of Church members to dose accurately. Prior to these standards, the potency of edibles was based on the gram weight of dried mushrooms per package.
Effective January 1st, 2024, the Church of Ambrosia and Zide Door will no longer accept any mushroom edibles that do not meet the following standards. All edibles must specify the psilocybin content.
All Edible Mushroom Items:
- A “Dose” is defined as no more than 5,000 mcg (micrograms) of psilocybin.
- A “Microdose” is defined as between 50 mcg to 1,000 mcg max of psilocybin.
- All edibles should carry the advisory: “Psilocybin tolerance can last up to 3 weeks, please keep this in mind when consuming psilocybin.”
- All edibles must list all ingredients, including the composition of the capsule and the source of the psilocybin (strain or synthetic).
- All mushroom powder should undergo a food-safe sterilization process prior to inclusion in a food product. For best results, this process should precede lab testing.
- Packaging should encourage users to start with a lower dose if they are inexperienced or unsure, and to always prioritize safety. It should also inform users that effects of psilocybin can vary greatly between individuals, and weight is one of many factors that can influence these effects.
- A standard chocolate bar should contain between 15,000 mcg and no more than 17,000 mcg of psilocybin.
- Any chocolate bar containing more than 17,000 mcg must be clearly labeled as “Breakthrough” and must caution that individuals weighing 100 lb or less may experience a breakthrough dose at 20,000 mcg.
Capsules, Gummies, etc:
- A single “piece” (individual capsule or gummy) labeled as a “Microdose” should contain between 50 mcg to 1,000 mcg max of psilocybin.
- Any individual piece (capsule or gummy) and total psilocybin content per package must be clearly listed on the package.
- If a piece contains more than 1,000 mcg, it cannot be classified as a “microdose.”
- The maximum potency per individual piece is 5,000 mcg.
- The maximum potency per package (collection of pieces) is 30,000 mcg.
- Any package containing more than 17,000 mcg must clearly warn that individuals weighing 100 lb or less may experience a breakthrough dose at 20,000 mcg.”
In publications on the topic of psilocybin, potency of pure psilocybin is frequently referenced by milligram. The Church has decided that a microgram measure of potency is more favorable for their purposes. As a means of comparison, one milligram (mg) is equal to one thousand micrograms (mcg).
Standardized Dose Level Terms.
Traditional Levels: 0.05 g to 0.4 g of Psilocybin Mushrooms
New Standards: 50 mcg to 1,000 mcg of Pure Psilocybin (per 100 lb of body weight)
Traditional Levels: 0.5 g to 1.75 g of Psilocybin Mushrooms
New Standards: 1,000 mcg to 5,000 mcg of Pure Psilocybin (per 100 lb of body weight)
Traditional Levels: 2 g to 4 g of Psilocybin Mushrooms
New Standards: 5,000 mcg to 10,000 mcg of Pure Psilocybin (per 100 lb of body weight)
Traditional Levels: 5 g to 7 g of Psilocybin Mushrooms
New Standards: 10,000 mcg to 18,000 mcg of Pure Psilocybin (per 100 lb of body weight)
Traditional Levels: 9 g to 15+ g of Psilocybin Mushrooms
New Standards: 18,000 mcg to 20,000+ mcg of Pure Psilocybin (per 100 lb of body weight)